How It Works

So I Can Import My Dream JDM Car To The United States?

When it comes to importing cars into the United States the 25 Year NHTSA Exemption is crucial for you to understand. Any motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. This is something we handle for all of our customers.

You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle’s manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used. Once again, when importing a vehicle with us – you do not have to worry about any of this as we ensure that all of our vehicles have the proper documentation to be lawfully imported.

How do you ship vehicles?

We mostly ship vehicles Ro-Ro or roll on roll off. This is the same way, and on the same ships as new vehicles. We occasionally ship vehicles via container, but the prefered method is Ro-Ro.

Can I purchase parts and put them in the vehicle that I am also importing?

If a vehicle is shipped Ro-Ro then no parts are able to be shipped in the vehicle.

Back to top